April 19, 2011

Review: Here There Be Monsters by Meljean Brook


I've been a fan of the Guardian Series for ages so when I found out about Ms. Book's new series I was eager to read it. Here There Be Monsters was a complete different experience though, I can’t believe that one single person can come up with such different worlds and do it so well. I’m actually in awe of people like Meljean Brook, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews and so many other brilliant writers and storytellers.


I think this one is my favorite book of hers, I even voted for it as winner of DABWAHA -were I got my ass kicked BTW-. It’s a Steampunk novel, and I had to google that name because I had no idea what that was about, but I don’t think you need to be a fan of the genre to love it.

I don’t want to give much away but the story is about Ivory who is a very talented but very poor Blacksmith, she’s desperate to leave London because people are starting to disappear from their beds and she is afraid she will be next. She goes to the infamous pirate Mad Mahen and begs for him to let her travel on his ship and even offers herself to him, but on the last minute she finds an alternate way to scape and leaves without fulfilling the bargain. Years later their paths cross again.

This book was incredible because in such a small page count she gives you a strong world building and backstory, well drawn main characters, intriguing secondary characters, an action packed plot, a sweet romance, a very clever ending, and an overall satisfying experience that leaves you wanting more.

As I have said in others reviews I am not a big fan of Fantasy, Historical or Sci-fi romance, this book was all of that and I adored it. It took me out of my comfort zone and I wasn’t expecting to like it that much but it blew me away, as I said I really think this is my favorite book by this author and that is saying a lot because her work is exceptional.

If you are looking for a satisfying rich story but don’t have a lot of time in your hands, then this one is perfect for you. If you are a fan of any of those genres, if you are looking for something new or if you are just a fan of romance in general like me, then read it I believe you won’t regret it.

Review by Brie
Grade: 5
Sensuality: McSteamy

Synopsis:



Burning Up Anthology

Bring these four authors together and it's sure to ignite a spark...

Angela Knight pairs a vampire warrior and his seductive captor in a battle against demonic predators.Nalini Singh returns to the world of her Psy-Changeling series as a woman in lethal danger finds an unlikely protector-and lover.Virginia Kantra continues the haunting tales of the Children of the Sea in her story of a wounded soldier rescued by an enigmatic young woman.Meljean Brook launches a bold new steampunk series about a woman who strikes a provocative-and terrifying-bargain for freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.