December 13, 2012

Review: Romancing the Holiday Anthology by HelenKay Dimon, Christi Barth and Jaci Burton


Source: a review copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

Carina Press’ Holiday Anthologies have become a tradition for me. This year they published three: Erotic, Sci-Fi and Contemporary, which is the one I’m reviewing today. To be honest, this is my least favorite of all their anthologies, although it still is a fairly competent set of novellas.

The first story is We'll Be Home for Christmas by HelenKay Dimon. I loved her previous novel, Lean on Me, and this novella is part of that series, so I was really happy to read it.

Lila and Spencer had a three-night stand months ago. When Lila, whose ex-husband left her broke and humiliated, moves to a new town to restore her uncle’s inn, she reunites with Spencer. The thing is that he used his brother name instead of his, so she’s not happy to see him. At first she pretends not to know him, which bothers him a lot, and he decides to pursue her and make her remember.

I didn’t connect with this story, and I felt like it was trying too hard to be funny and cute. There’s nothing wrong with it; the romance was sweet, there was some character development and the main couple was likeable, but the charm and freshness that were a big part of her previous book didn’t make an appearance in this one. It reads like a generic small-town Romance, instead of an interesting take on the dynamic of the towns, something I thought her previous book explored. I didn’t connect with it, but I think fans of small-town romances will enjoy it.

Grade: 3
Sensuality: McSexy
Purchase: Amazon

Next we have Ask Her at Christmas by Christi Barth. This is my first time reading Ms. Barth, and if this is anything to go by, I probably won’t read her again. 

Caitlin has been in love with her best friend Kyle for years. He, of course, doesn’t know that he’s also in love with her, because all those feelings are unrecognizable, right? So he dates an evil woman just because his father and her father are business partners, or interested in becoming business partners, or something. So of course he plans to marry her, and fake-proposes to Caitlin so she can give him some pointers. In the meantime, the evil girlfriend tortures Caitlin, who silently but stoically suffers in silence and dies of unrequited love, until Kyle gets some clarity, realizes his love, and proposes to the right woman. The end. 

This is a plot I have seen before, and it doesn’t work well in a contemporary setting. But the real problem is that everything feels forced and there’s no chemistry whatsoever between the protagonists. When I read the description I felt like this story was written specially for me. I love friends-to-lovers stories, and if we add unrequited love and evil girlfriends, I’m in Romance heaven. I can’t resist the promise of delicious angst and emotional payoff, but I have to feel the love between the main couple, something that didn’t happen here. And the fact that Kyle and Caitlin were idiots and vapid, didn’t help. 

Grade: 2
Sensuality: McDreamy
Purchase: Amazon

The final novella is The Best Thing by Jaci Burton. At this point I didn’t have many expectations left, and Ms. Burton’s novels haven’t worked for me in the past, so I was dreading this one. But surprisingly, it turned out to be the best of the bunch, and it actually made me want to give her books a second chance.

This is another unrequited love story, but here the chemistry was undeniable. Tori has been in love with Brody for years, but he’s a player and she doesn’t want to be another notch on his bedpost. A year ago they shared a smoking hot kiss, and they haven’t been able to forget it. She’s been avoiding him and grumpy, something that everyone is noticing. So when they finally decide to confront their feelings, sparks fly and he has to work hard to convince her of his feelings and intentions. 

Tori and Brody make a great romantic couple, and I thoroughly enjoyed their uncomplicated love story. I don’t think The Best Thing is good enough to carry the whole anthology, but I think it’s worth reading and it was my favorite of the bunch. 

Grade: 3.5
Sensuality: McSexy
Purchase: Amazon

Overall, Romancing the Holidays was a disappointment, and not up to par with what I’ve come to expect from Carina Press’ anthologies. The only novella I recommend reading is Jaci Burton. Fortunately, you don’t have to buy the anthology; instead you can get each novel separately.

Review by Brie
Overall Grade: 3 
Purchase Anthology: Amazon

Synopsis:

We wish you a merry Christmas…and a happily ever after! 
A memorable three-night stand gets rekindled in a cabin in West Virginia. An office romance is sparked by an impulsive holiday kiss. And two best friends scout locations for a marriage proposal and discover that they make a perfect match. 'Tis the season for laughter, love and a lifetime of happiness.

Carina Press. December 03, 2012.

4 comments:

  1. So I really didn't like Lean on Me but loved her novella in this one. LOL

    And I read Barth's earlier full length and dnf'd it..and didn't enjoy this novella so I'm done with her.

    I've liked all three of the Burton novella's in this series...I love those Kent brothers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Your reviews made me smile. I'm obviously right, of course, so I don't mind ;-)

      The Barth novella was not good. And the funny thing is that that was the blurb that convinced me to read the anthology. I should have gotten the sci-fi one instead.

      Jaci Burton's was great. Now I'm curious about the friend who married her sister's ex!

      Delete
  2. Aww that's too bad this one didn't work for you. All the stories sounded like they had promise but just failed to deliver. And I hate shallow and 'vapid' characters. Especially if it's a romance and they have no chemistry. No thank you! Hopefully the next one will be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, it sounds like this Christmas anthology was a miss. I tried reading the Dimon's entry and meh, just didn't grab me. I don't think I'll be picking it up again.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.