September 24, 2012

Review: Hunter’s Season by Thea Harrison


Dragon Bound was one of my favorite books of 2011, but after some disappointments with the series I started to think that it was one-hit wonder. I did enjoy Oracle’s Moon, though, so I keep reading the books. I’m happy to say that Hunter’s Season makes me feel hopeful that the magic is still there.

If you have read the previous books and novellas in the series, you know that Xanthe is an undercover guard for the Dark Fae court, and Aubrey Riordan is a chancellor whose wife betrayed him, and everyone else, when she tried to murder the queen, who happened to be the second book’s heroine. In Hunter’s Season, someone tries to kill Aubrey and Xanthe is the one in charge to protect and take care of him while he recovers. Then they fall in love and live happily ever after.

There’s nothing new about it, but it’s a charming romance. In fact, that’s all there is. Someone else resolves the mystery, and the action, if there’s any, happens off-page. All we get are two people falling in love. Well, Xanthe was already in love, it was Aubrey who needed a push.  

Aubrey is very old, supernaturally old, and he actually behaves accordingly. He’s jaded and still recovering from his wife’s betrayal. Xanthe, on the other hand, is young and brings freshness to their relationship. She’s not naïve, and her life hasn’t been easy, but she’s not world-weary.

This is going to be a short review because mostly all I want to tell you is that I really liked it. I was delighted by it and very satisfied to read a Paranormal Romance that’s all about the love story. Both characters were compelling and complemented each other well. But above all, the novella was romantic. 

I’m not sure how well it stands alone. The characters made previous appearances, but I didn’t remember them, so you won’t feel lost there. But the world building is complex and I think some background would help you understand. However, even if you don’t feel like reading the previous books, give this one a try. It’s sweet and short. I’m happy I read it. 

Review by Brie
Grade: 4
Sensuality: McSteamy
Purchase: Amazon

Synopsis:
A Novella of the Elder Races 
Duty. Devotion. Desire. When fate brings two isolated people together, love is in the cards. 
As a palace guard and assassin for the Dark Fae, Xanthe always wore a mask, hiding her emotions to do her duty. But when her identity is compromised, she trades undercover work for guarding Queen Niniane—a position that often brings her in contact with Chancellor Aubrey Riordan. 
Aubrey’s trust is shattered. A year ago his wife tried to assassinate their new queen in his name, a betrayal of everything he believes in. And now an attack on his life is proof the dark conspiracy is not yet over. Although injured and weak, Aubrey can’t help but be drawn to this shy assassin and loyal protector. Xanthe is everything Naida wasn’t, and the passion she stirs in him is something he thought had long passed him by. 
Warning: Take a man recovering from an assassination attempt, the assassin sworn to protect him, add in a magical Tarot card deck and an isolated cabin, and watch the sparks fly!
Samhain Publishing, Ltd. September 18, 2012.

12 comments:

  1. Yesterday I read Dragon Bound and 2 novellas. Hunter's Season was one of them. I'm not convinced that I should read the rest of this series. However, I will read Lord's Fall because I did enjoy Pia and Dragos' romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't like Hunter's Fall?

      I have bad feeling about Lord's Fall. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't understand the logic behind having a series that's clearly about standalone characters and then change the dynamics five books in. I think it's just a way to milk the success cow, given that no other couple was as successful as Dragos and Pia, I just hope it doesn't backfire.

      Delete
  2. I really liked this one too. It was by far my favorite of the novellas, because it was so much more focused on the romance than the other three were. Plus there was time for these two to get to know each other, instead of insta-love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one and the first one were my favorites. It's a shame she's not writing more because I think she's good with the short format.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to go nab Dragon Bound.

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this one and have been wondering about it. I've only read the firs two books and while I liked them both, Pia and Dragos was my favorite of the two.

    I've heard many people say the thrill was gone once they kept reading through the series so I've been hesitant to continue. I'm glad to know that this one focuses on the romance and gives the reader a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this one, Jade.

      Pia and Dragos are by far the best couple although I really enjoyed the 4th book.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, not sure about the age difference LOL. I know it cannot be calculated simply since they are almost immortal, but still.

    Good to know we both enjoy Oracle's Moon though :) Are you going to pick up Lord's Fall? Title is so ominous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how I love those May-December romances, so this one was perfect for me.

      Of course I'm going to pick Lord's Fall, I'm way too curious not to. But I have a bad feeling about it...

      Delete
  6. I didn't read Hunter's Fall. I read Dragon Bound, Devil's Gate and Hunter's Season. Your comments now have me worried about Lord's Fall. Maybe I will hold off on pre-ordering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're like me, you're pre-ordering regardless!

      And I meant Hunter's Season, there's no Hunter's Fall, that was just me getting my wires crossed. Now I must go check the review in case I wrote the wrong title, again. This happens to me all the time.

      So again, you didn't like Hunter's Season? Was it the lack of action?

      Delete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.